Techniques in Watercolor and Mixed Media
with Carmen Cruz
Tuesdays, 6 classes
1pm – 3:30pm
Fall Session 1 (September 19, 26, Oct 3, 10, 17, 24)
Fall Session 2 (Nov 7, 14, 21, 28, Dec 5, 12)
This watercolor class, focusing on principles of composition, is for students at all levels of painting experience (from absolute beginners to more seasoned artists). We will go over color theory and apply it to use with watercolor paints. There will be demonstrations of techniques such as flat and graded washes, wet on wet washes, positive and negative space within your composition, and the use of textures. For beginners and those students who are looking for guidance, this class is project-based. If you are interested in watercolor, but aren’t sure where to begin, don’t worry: the class projects will teach you principles and techniques to set you on your way. Once you begin creating, you won’t want to stop. More advanced or continuing students are welcome to work on their own designs with continued input and tips from your instructor.
Watercolor class syllabus:
1. Theory of color: mixing primary, secondary, and tertiary colors
2. Class project: basic rules of composition and drawing, use of light box
3. Demonstrations of different techniques: wet on wet, wet on dry, washes, direct painting, negative painting
4. Textures: salt, stencils, using different brushes, etc.
5. Throughout the session: multiple demonstrations and personal assistance
Suggested Student Supply List:
- Watercolor paper preferably ARCHES – 140.lb rough or FABRIANO or any other that is 100% cotton.
- Drawing paper, kneaded eraser, pencils
- Watercolor Paint Colors (Winsor and Newton, or Holbain, or graham or any good transparent watercolor):
– Permanent Rose
– Cobalt Blue
– Burnt Sienna
– Ultramarine Blue
– Yellow (Aureolin) or Gamboche
– One number 2 round
– One number 8 round
– One – 1 inch flat for watercolor
Purchasing a gift for someone? Consider a gift card! Call us at 727-822-7872 or drop in during business hours!
Sign up for a membership HERE, and receive $50 off For more information, please call the Morean Arts Center at 727.822.7872